Wednesday, May 16, 2007


MARY J. BLIGE...

A TRUE ICON.

I have always been a fan of Mary J. Blige. She represents true Strength, Triumph, and Transformation for and her many fans.

I get goosebumps watching her appear on Oprah, Tyra, and many other shows. We are the same age. I remember how raw, and hot! she was when she came out, I was living the typical hip hop life as a young lady in my early 20's (not that I am old). I was in College, with my 2 year old son Samuel on my back. Life was a hustle, I was working 2 jobs, catching th bus, and having drama with his daddy and his "other would be's. I have to admit, when I first heard her, I did not like her. However as I kept listening to her music I was like DAMNNN!! This chis is HOT!! I started trying to sing like her! (at home of course).
She became my TOP FEMALE RECORDING ARTIST OF ALL TIME. She reminded so much of the 70's music era I grew up listening to.

Bobby Womack
Al Green
Barry White
Brook Benton
Sister Sledge
Chic
Aretha Franklin
Marvin Gay
Curtis Mayfield
Rolls Royce

Heck even the BeeGees's & Andy Gibb was Hot!! The list goes on! anyhow, enjoy the interview!


MARY J. BLIGE: Men, Marriage, Motherhood and 'Mahogany'
Posted May 14th 2007 2:20PM by Karu F. DanielsFiled under: Entertainment Newswire
By Karu F. Daniels, AOL Black Voices

What is there not to love about Mary J. Blige?
For the past 15 years, we've watched her blossom from a hard-edged, street-savvy new-jill songstress to a critically-acclaimed, polished, much emulated cultural icon.
And 'Essence' magazine has been there every step of the way -- to help chronicle her remarkable journey.Talk about transformation.

The Yonkers, New York-bred Queen of Hip-Hop Soul is gracing the June edition of the best-selling black women's magazine. For her record ninth cover, the recently-married Grammy Award winner gets double exposure -- with two different magazine covers; one very beauty-oriented, the other with her new husband/manager Kendu Isaacs.

In a remarkable photo spread shot by Mark Liddell, the 36-year old Chevy spokeswoman channels the 1976 urban romantic classic 'Mahogany,' which starred Diana Ross and Billy Dee Williams. (Pick up the actual magazine(s) to see the Asian-inspired centerfold. Very fashion forward!!!)

Together with Isaacs, a former business associate of Queen Latifah who now is a partner of Mary Jane Productions, Blige looks the happiest she's ever been.
They were married Dec. 7, 2003.

And for the first time the royal couple sits down together and talk about their courtship and marriage and how breaking through Mary's pain brought them to love.
"I came from hatred," Blige shared with writer Kierna Mayo. "All my life I've been in a bunch of junk where men were jealous of me. They wanted my career, they wanted money from me-something."Though Isaacs was married (with three children) at the time of their initial meeting, he turned out to be her knight in shining armor. "I said, Damn, he's cute, and then I left it alone because I thought he and Latifah were a couple," she recollected. "I didn't know for sure what was going on, so I went to work. We all hung out later that night, and we got to know each other better."

Blige's doubts of a relationship with Isaacs caused her to question her role in the ending of his marriage. "I thought, 'I can't do this. I'm not a home wrecker,'" she revealed. "I was like, give me a gun and I'll just blow my brains out, because I'm at the point of...like I said...my spirit is dead. There was a lot of pain, so I ran straight into more self-destruction. I was thinking about the wife, I was thinking about the kids, and I was thinking, I just don't want to be responsible for that."

Isaacs clarified to 'Essence' that his first marriage was already dissolving before Blige was "fully on the scene;" He said that today he and his ex-wife have a good relationship.
The six-time Grammy Award winning singer/songwriter has had her fair share of romantic ups and downs throughout her life. She has mastered the art of connectivity with her massive fan base due to the fact that her music has been an emotional canvas.

Future-wise, Blige contemplates motherhood -- as Isaacs' three children are very much present in their lives. "God's got to be done with me, the low moments and all the insecurities of the past," she confided about the possibilities. "Your kid is around you 24/7. When you have stepchildren, they come around and then they go home. My child is going to be watching me go up and down on the days that I go down. I don't want my child to feel what I felt when I was coming up, what it was like for my mother to hurt all the time. So I have a fear-it's probably one of my biggest fears-a fear of my child suffering, you know, with that energy."

On the professional front, Blige, who recently starred in the CBS series 'Ghost Whisperer'-- has been attached to a Nina Simone biopic project. According to Bridget Bland of 'MTV Radio Networks,' Blige will star in an upcoming episode of HBO's red-hot Hollywood series 'Entourage.'
The June issue of 'Essence' -- with that scandalous Andrea Kelly story in it -- arrived on newsstands, nationally, May 14.

ROCK ON MARY I SO LOVE YOU!!